Baby play ideas – taste safe activities for babies and toddlers. A wonderful activity resource for play dates for babies!
Some links on this site are affiliate links and I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Learn more.
It’s been raining in California! It’s wonderful for getting out of the drought, but some of my mom friends with small children are going crazy! Usually in California, life with a baby or toddler is easy: take them outside and they are happy. When it’s raining, you need a little more creativity.
And so, I’m updating and re-publishing this old favorite post full of taste activities for babies and toddlers who want to put EVERYTHING in their mouths. Hopefully these activities can help those of you coping with cold weather, as well – one was especially designed for snow!
Baby Play Ideas and Activities – Taste Safe!
What You'll Find on This Page
No-Mess Sensory Play Ideas for Babies
These activities make wonderful baby and toddler play date ideas, because they are easy to set up and don’t require much cleanup.
- Tape contact paper sticky-side-up to the table, let them add tissue paper, colored paper, or other decorations, then stick it to the window as an instant sun catcher!
- Give them an empty box and a toy – it entertains most young children for quite a while, and they get to learn about object permanence and spatial reasoning!
- Give no-mess finger paint a try! Freezer ziploc bags work best, because the plastic is stronger.
- Remove the middle sections of your swiffer so it is just the right height for them to help clean the house.
- In the summer time, visit a local farm and pick apples, strawberries, or any other local produce.
- Turn stickers into instant finger puppets!
- Give them some cardboard and stickers and have them create a world for their toys like Johnny’s dinosaur land.
- Try some of our active indoor games.
- Play this simple game using plastic cups
Messy Play Ideas for Babies and Toddlers
These messy sensory play activities are still pretty easy to clean up!
- Bathe plastic toys in water – if your child still puts things in their mouths, make sure the toys are too large to fit through a toilet paper roll so that you don’t have to worry about them choking.
- Fill a spray bottle with water, add a cloth, and set them to work “cleaning” the house. I especially like doing this one outdoors when the weather is warm!
- Put some water in a bin (hint: the less water you use, the less cleanup there is!), place the bin on a towel, add a few accessories and let them play.
- Make your own play dough!
- Make a felt fashion bear for them to dress up (download templates here or try these new smaller felt bears)
- Pour a little corn meal on a tray and let them draw in it or use any other kind of coarsely ground flour for this taste safe sensory play activity. There’s some sweeping involved come clean-up time, but this is a great cheer-up activity in our home – and corn meal won’t hurt them if they eat a little!
- Bring a little snow in on a tray, and let them play with it in the warm house.
A Book of Baby Play Ideas
Looking for more baby play ideas? Check out this ebook – I’m a contributor!