Celebrate Women’s History month by taking a moment to record your own family’s women’s history. This post includes some great resources to get you started.
Are You Recording Your Family’s Women’s History?
March is National Women’s History Month – the perfect time to take a moment to record your family’s women’s history. How much do you know about the sisters, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, great-aunts, and great-grandmothers in your own family?
Resources for Recording Your Family’s Women’s History
Are you interested in this project, but unsure of where or how to get started? Here are some great resources you can use to begin to record your family history.
- Find out what histories are already available. My maternal grandmother kept an extensive personal journal that is an amazing resource for learning her personal history.
- Have your kids interview grandma! Aunts and great-aunts and great-grandmothers are also wonderful resources for stories. Here are some family history interview questions to get you started. Here are tips for oral history interviewing.
- Write your own history! This series of #52Stories can get you started.
- Start with a photo. Find a photo featuring a woman in the family that looks interesting, then ask that woman to tell the story behind the photo.
- Record big events, but ask about little things as well. Often small details can reveal fun and educational stories.
- Help children draw connections between women’s lives in the past and current lives. How are things different? How are things the same? What aspect of their grandmother’s / mother’s / aunt’s life would they most like to experience themselves?
More Ways to Celebrate Women’s History Month
There are so many great ways to celebrate Women’s History Month! Here are a few resources from my sites:
Are you recording your family’s women’s history? Do you have a resource that I should include in this post?
Share recommendations and feedback in the comments below, on my Facebook page, or by tagging me on Instagram. Sign up for my newsletter to receive book recommendations, crafts, activities, and parenting tips in your inbox every week.