Happy Chinese New Year! We live in an area with a large Asian population, so Chinese New Year is a big deal – and a lot of fun to celebrate! The school my kids went to when we first moved here even had a Chinese New Year parade! I love having them in our neighborhood school now, but that parade was wonderful, and we miss it. Since this is the year of the monkey, I thought it would be fun to celebrate by sharing these Year of the Monkey crafts and activities for kids that I found. My kids and I will be trying out several throughout this week to celebrate – particularly Anna, who is on a bit of a structured crafts whirl at the moment. Don’t worry, she still makes all sorts of unstructured arts and crafts projects – but she enjoys making structured ones, too, and I think that structured crafts can help kids develop new art techniques while working on fine motor skills. There are TONS of fun monkey crafts out there – this list features ten of my personal favorites.
Year of the Monkey Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Your child will love playing at being a monkey with this cute monkey mask printable from Woo! Jr
- Adorable toilet paper roll monkeys from J-Man and MillerBug
- Free monkey crochet pattern from The Friendly Red Fox
- Paper plate monkey from Easy Peasy Fun
- Fingerprint monkey card from Crafty Morning
- Monkey pop-up card from Kiddy Charts
- Printable banana treat monkey from DIY Inspired
- Pony bead monkey pattern from Making Friends
- Handprint monkey from Fun Handprint Art
- Monkey Writing Paper and Project Freebie from Teachers Pay Teachers
We will, of course, also read lots of monkey picture books.
Do you have a fun monkey craft for us to try? How are you and your family celebrating Chinese New Year? You can find lots of fun ideas on my Chinese New Year Pinterest board!