Do you remember our Mod Podge fairy? She is miraculously still completely intact (including her wings, which you can’t really see in this photo), and she is back to visit as our Valentine Fairy for the next seven days! Every day she will leave each of the kids a small note rolled into a tiny scroll and tied with red yarn (red ribbon would be prettier, but we have red yarn so red yarn it is) with ideas of things they can do to be helpful or nice. Here are a few of the things I have written up for her notes:
- Do something nice for [name of family member] today.
- Smile and say hi to three people you don’t usually talk to at school today.
- Find something around the house that needs to be put away and put it away without asking.
- Write a letter to someone you love today.
- Draw a picture for someone today.
- Give a hug to someone you love.
- Ask someone who looks lonely to play on the playground with you today.
- Let someone else go first just to be nice.
- Pick out a toy to donate.
- Read a book. Here are some Valentine’s Day themed picture books if you need ideas!
The notes she sends aren’t tasks the kids have to report on, and there is no reward. The goal is for them to think about giving back and to focus on people they appreciate. If they do something especially noteworthy, I plan to have the Valentine Fairy write about that as well. The goal is to keep Valentine’s Day focus on love, friendship, and paying it forward instead of being all about the parties that are planned at school for every holiday under the sun (except Christmas).
I want to come up with a few more ideas, so I thought I would write this post now to get some inspiration! What tasks do you think our Valentine Fairy should request next?