I love these fun and simple sewing projects for kids! All can be sewn by hand, and a few can be done by machine if preferred.
Simple Sewing Projects for Kids
What You'll Find on This Page
These simple sewing projects for kids were created as part of Sew a Softie month. I love this annual event that gets kids sewing!
- Felt. We used nice craft felt for our project. 100% wool felt would have been nicer, but this worked well enough. One project did use tea towels, one used an old sweater, and others used cotton fabric.
- Fabric shears (these cut through felt like butter, unlike many household scissors).
- Needle and thread.
- Clover Wonder clips.
- Buttons and beads.
And Now the Tutorials
Check out this year’s tutorials. I’ve listed them left to right, top to bottom based on the image above.
- Mini Softie in a Jar
- Portrait Bag Tag
- DIY Emoji Pillows
- Teach Kids to Design and Sew Stuffed Toys Based on Drawings
- Handmade Little House
- Woolly Jumper Creatures
- Dachshund Softie
- Mia the Bunny Softie
- Tea Towel Softies
- How to Sew a Star Softie
- Dinosaur Softie
- Strawberry Plushie
- Harry Hippo
More Simple Sewing Projects for Kids
Here are a few more simple sewing projects my kids enjoy. Be sure to check out my complete sewing tutorial list as well.
- Sew and astronaut and his space shuttle (free pattern included)
- Sew a felt cat – also a dog and butterfly (free pattern included)
- Tiny felt animals for kids to sew
- Adorable felt giraffe (free pattern included)
- Super-simple Superhero capes
- Felt pumpkin pie (free pattern included)
- Felt sandwich set
- Easy first sewing project for kids
This woodland animals sewing kit is also a lot of fun, if you’re looking for a kit: