The kids and I took off on a last-minute road trip at the end of June! I had been wanting to visit my grandmothers for a while, and it became clear that Mike was not going to get the time off work to come with us. He was also stressing about meeting some deadlines, and leaving was an easy way to free up more of his time. We enjoyed checking in with him via webcam (that’s the photo above) during our trip – hooray for modern technology! I was a little worried about being the only adult on a road trip with four kids, but I followed my own road trip tips and it went really well! I didn’t bring along ANY electronics for the kids. Anna did lose it a couple times, but overall the kids were happy to make up stories about Santa and his Alaskan husky Rudolph’s adventures with Vanilla the chocolate milk cow and her calf Cocoa. We listened to The Ordinary Princess (highly recommend, and very inexpensive on Audible – affiliate link). This recording also works really well even on a loud freeway.
Luckily my June goals were pretty simple, so we still did all right. We had a nice visit with Mike’s mom and aunt, but Mike was sick on our 14-year anniversary. The kids wrote lovely thank you cards for their teachers. My desk is neater than it was, but still not completely organized. Our silkworm eggs have not hatched, so we haven’t had to deal with that situation yet. We did get the unexpected gift of fish from Emma’s third grade teacher, so the kids and I are enjoying having some pets. Our original planned summer of staying home most of the time has turned into trips every month, so we haven’t really established much of a rhythm at home. Missing on that goal is well worth seeing my grandmothers, siblings, and other friends and family!
Setting Goals Month by Month: July 2015
July will be a busy month! Here are my goals:
- Get organized for and enjoy a trip to Massachusetts! Mike has to work there for a week and a half and we are able to come along again. We are all looking forward to seeing my sister and friends. Character trait: thankful
- Celebrate my 35th birthday – this Saturday! Character trait: thankful
- Continue the unending chore of organizing and decluttering the house. Character trait: helpful
- Keep the kids on the practice-first schedule they had started in June before our trip. Character trait: curious and helpful
- Continue to help the kids write snail mail letters to family. Character trait: kind.
What are your plans and goals for July?