These crowns may not really be made from velvet, but my kids think they are awesome and they were very simple to make. Johnny’s crown used four pipe cleaners, two of each color. Emma’s crown used an extra pink pipe cleaner for the tiara effect, and I kept the blue pipe cleaners above the lower pink ones instead of alternating the way I did for Johnny. These crowns hold up surprisingly well – Emma’s had hers for several weeks, and it survived plenty of abuse from Johnny before I finally made him one last Friday. Just be sure to tuck in the sharp ends of the pipe cleaners!
Again, this is a craft that my kids needed lots of help for, but an older child could make this on their own quite easily.