This is a fun and easy Halloween countdown that your kids will love! We even have a list of Halloween activities to add for kids to enjoy as they count down! Find more fun Halloween activities for preschoolers.
You know those paper link chains you made to go on the Christmas tree as a kid? Swap the red and green paper for orange and blank, and you’ve got the perfect Halloween countdown chain!
We started this tradition way back in 2010. Emma and Johnny (4 and 2 years old at the time) were really excited about Halloween that year.
They made the Halloween countdown chain you see here, complete with fancy edging on the black links. The idea is that they remove on link per day to help them count down the days, but so far they have refused to remove a single link. I’m thinking maybe we should start punching holes in the links instead!
Halloween Countdown Activities
You can also write an activity on the links that they can complete each day while they wait! Here are a few ideas to get started:
- Carve pumpkins
- Decorate a haunted house with this free printable.
- Make up your own costume!
- Do a Halloween-themed science experiment!
- Make Jack O’ Lantern chains
- Decorate pumpkins with Sharpie pens
- Make a Jack O’ Lantern mask
- Make Kleenex Ghosts
- Decorate paper pumpkins
- Make a wall of pumpkins!
- Sew a monster stuffie you can decorate – over and over!
- Make your own uglydoll-inspired softie
- Add googly eyes to play dough for creative monster fun
- Use household materials to design Fancy Pumpkins
- Make a no-sew ghost hand puppet
- Read your favorite Halloween-themed books
- Enjoy dry ice ice cream
- Try some easy pumpkin crafts
- Do some Halloween themed writing
- Make these easy Halloween crafts
- Play with a Halloween-themed felt board
- Sew a friendly felt alien