We collected our favorite kids activities for this Gruffalo preschool learning unit. Storytelling, nature art, math, science, and more to go along with this fun book!
Some links on this site are affiliate links and I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Learn more.
Gruffalo Preschool Learning Unit Activities
What You'll Find on This Page
This week’s theme for the Virtual Book Club for kids is Forest, and the book of the week is The Gruffalo. The Gruffalo is one of our all-time favorite picture books, so today I have a collection of activities for you to try as you read, instead of one simple activity to highlight.
Here Are Our Three Favorite Gruffalo Themed Kids Activities:
- Retell the story! We have a Gruffalo puppet and a Mouse that we use, but you can retell the story using other stuffed animals, or act it out. Try having mom or dad play the gruffalo while a child plays the mouse. Highly entertaining! This set of Gruffalo finger puppets is adorable.
- Go on a family walk where the kids lead the way. It’s a great way to see the world through their perspective. Can you find a nut for Mouse?
- While on your walk, gather some leaves, sticks, and other pieces of nature to make:
There are fun activities we enjoy after reading this book, but my co-hosts have plenty of other wonderful ideas! Keep reading…
Forest Learning Activities for A Gruffalo Preschool Learning Unit
Here are some more great learning activities to go along with this week’s theme, Forest, and this week’s book, The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson. The Busy Tree by Jennifer Ward is another lovely forest themed picture book that should work well with most of these activities.
- Math Trees
- Printable Forest Friends Skip Counting Puzzles
- Wood Slice Number Game
- Owl Science Activities
- Log Pile House Building Challenge
- Gruffalo Coding Sheet
- Splat Painting Inspired by The Gruffalo
THE 2016-17 VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB FOR KIDS
Click on the image above to see all of the themes, books, and activities for this year’s 2016-17 Virtual Book Club for Kids! I am updating the page as new posts go live.
Do you have an activity that I should add to this Gruffalo preschool learning unit? How about a favorite picture book (fiction or non-fiction) we should read? Let me know in the comments. You can share photos as well as book suggestions and activity ideas on my Facebook page, or tag me on Instagram.