I recently moved my family over to a gluten-free diet, and as a result we are making a lot of rice dishes! This gluten free, Asian inspired broccoli cashew chicken rice recipe has been a hit with the entire family!
Gluten Free Broccoli Cashew Chicken Rice
This recipe requires only six ingredients:
- Rice (we use brown rice, usually, but any rice will do)
- Fresh broccoli
- Soy sauce – make sure it is gluten free (not all soy sauce is)
- Cashews – I prefer raw, but roasted work as well. I recommend the unsalted ones, if you can, since you are adding plenty of sodium with the soy sauce
- Olive oil
I’m afraid I’m not giving you any amounts, because this is more of a stir fry, where you combine things in the amounts that your family will eat.
- Start your rice steaming. Non-stick finishes make me nervous, so we use this stainless steel rice cooker – with the steamer basket on top, since otherwise (like many rice cookers) it winds up making a big mess when the basket is full of rice and boiling water.
- If you are using raw chicken, brown it now in olive oil. We often use leftover chicken, and if you are doing that you can add it later, with the cashews.
- Add the fresh broccoli.
- Add cashews
- Add soy sauce – less if your cashews were salted.
- Add in your rice, stir, and serve.
You can also add onions, peppers, and other vegetables. I like to add mushrooms, but the rest of my family doesn’t like them so I only do it occasionally. Water chestnuts are great, if you have some – and all of my kids like those! You can also substitute the chicken with beef, hamburger, pork, or tofu (which I am trying to learn how to cook properly – any tips?)
What are your favorite kid-friendly healthy dishes?