Celebrate literacy all through the holidays with this Picture Book Advent Calendar Christmas countdown.
I have wanted to make a picture book advent calendar to use as a fun Christmas countdown for several years; this year I finally got organized enough to put it together! We had quite a few Christmas and winter themed Christmas books already, and I bought a few more used on Amazon and through Paperbackswap to make a complete 24-book set. Many of the books we already owned I had bought used or through Scholastic book club sales at school; a few were gifts. You don’t have to buy any books for this to work, though – simply borrow Christmas-themed books from your library and wrap them up to read!
Advent Calendar Picture Books
Here are the books we are using this year; you can also find them (as well as other Christmas-themed books that my family likes) in my Amazon store. This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien. I recommend giving this one early in the month as it is more of an illustrated chapter book.
- I Spy Christmas by Jean Marzollo
- Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett
- The Animals’ Christmas Eve – Little Golden Book
- Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner
- Room for a Little One by Martin Waddell
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama by Anna Dewdney
- Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
- Tonight You Are My Baby by Jeannine Norris
- The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
- The Little Shepherd’s Christmas by Carol Heyer
- Mice on Ice by Rebecca Emberley and Ed Emberley
- The Twelve Days of Christmas by Jan Brett
- When the Prince of Peace Was Born by Alice W. Johnson (this is actually a short chapter book that works well as a read-aloud book)
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin and James Dean
- Mortimer’s Christmas Manger by Karma Wilson
- The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobblers’ Sons by Ruth Sawyer
- Dashing Through the Snow by David Kirk
- The Christmas Angel by Hans Wilhelm
- The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston
- The Nutcracker by Susan Jeffers
- Christmas is Here illustrated by Lauren Castillo
- On Christmas Eve by Peter Collington (wordless picture book)
- North Pole Ninja by Tyler Knott Gregson
- The Biggest Smallest Christmas Present by Harriett Muncaster
- The Great Spruce by John Duvall
- Christmas Reindeer Food by Nicole Antoinette
- The Nutcracker illustrated by Valeria Docampo
More Christmas-Themed Picture Books
Looking for more suggestions for this Christmas picture book advent calendar? Here are some books my readers recommend:
- A Christmas Spider’s Miracle
- Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
- Christmas Around the World
- Christmas Truce
- The Spider’s Gift
- The legend of the Poinsettia
- The Night of Las Posadas
- Who’s That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
- Christmas for Greta and Gracie
- Angel Pig
- The Night Before Christmas – illustrated by Nirut Puttapipat
Two-year-old Anna helped me wrap everything in sturdy brown paper (so that it would be able to withstand lots of handling by the kids) that we tied up with baker’s twine from IKEA. We did all of this while the other kids were in school, so we are the only ones who know what books are inside. Anna decided to decorate the packages, and the older kids have added some decorations as well, as you can tell in the photo below:
Are you doing an advent calendar this year? Do you have Christmas-themed picture books that you recommend that are not on my list?
I’m sharing this as part of Timberdoodle’s holiday traditions blog hop. Find more inspiration below.
Share comments and feedback below, on my Facebook page, or by tagging me on Instagram. Sign up for my newsletter to receive book recommendations, crafts, activities, and parenting tips in your inbox every week.