Children and youth love this edible family tree activity. It’s a light hearted way to introduce family history and to start exploring your family identity.
Some links on this site are affiliate links and I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Click on the images and blue text to be taken to links. Thank you! Learn more.
Create an Edible Family Tree
Creating an edible family tree is a fun way to explore family history! Collect a few family stories about people in the tree to enjoy while you eat your creations!
A friend who knows I LOVE crafts sent me this idea to try and write about. All four of my kids loved it, and I delighted in seeing each child put their stamp on the family members they were assigned to decorate.
Cookie Topping Ideas
The sky’s the limit with how you decorate these family tree cookies! Here are some ideas that worked well for us:
- Mini chocolate chips made great curly hair.
- Full size chocolate chips created delightfully dramatic eyebrows.
- White chocolate chips sliced into noses.
- Starbursts were sculpted into mouths and used to create comically large (and square!) ears.
- Pretzels worked for hair.
- Frosting held everything in place and served as a base for the face. We used the frosting recipe from this post.
- Nutella carefully painted on to create hair. You can also mix nutella with vanilla frosting for a range of skin tones, although my kids didn’t bother with that this time.
More Fun Ideas for Exploring Family History With Kids and Teens
Here are a few more activities you can use to keep on celebrating family history.
- Make an ancestry float
- Record your family’s personal histories
- Create a personal or family history timeline
Do you have a family tree activity or family history idea I can include in this post? Let me know! Please share photos of your cookies if you try this fun activity!
Share comments and feedback below, on my Facebook page, or by tagging me on Instagram. Sign up for my newsletter to receive book recommendations, crafts, activities, and parenting tips in your inbox every week.