Kids love fabric, and it makes an excellent craft medium – and you can get them started with a few scraps – you may recognize most of the ones in the bin above from Johnny’s king costume and the girls’ butterfly costumes! Four-year-old Lily plays with this little bin of scraps several times a week – sorting them, taping pieces together, pretending that small pieces are people – the possibilities are endless!
Most people think of felt for kid crafting; this post is about fabric projects that don’t involve felt (although long-time readers will know that I adore felt). I thought this would be a fun way to branch outside of the standard felt projects for other ideas of ways kids can get involved with fabric crafting.
Here are a few fabric crafting projects my kids made entirely on their own:
- Mixed-media explorations with fabric scraps
- Decorating canvas bags with fabric markers
- Fashion design for kids
- Decorate fabric with foam stickers (which stick really well to fabric projects, provided you don’t wash the product!)
- Cardboard, tape, and rags play scape
- Peg doll and recyclables doll house
The kids made these projects with help from me
- Dying fabric with special dye paper (in our experience, this dye washes out, so I recommend it more for projects you don’t plan to wash much, such as totes)
- Easy DIY patchwork doll quilt tutorial
- Airbrushed shirts (have held up remarkably well through many washings)
- Silk screened shirts (have also held up incredibly well through multiple washings)
- Drawstring goody bags to decorate
- Doll clothes from cast-off tops
- Tie-dye shirts
These projects were mostly made by me, but the kids love playing with/wearing/using them:
- No-sew (and very sturdy) flannel/felt board
- No-sew fabric-covered box
- Easy-sew bean bags
- Baby texture book
- Handbag from cast-off jeans
- I Spy quilt
- Handmade doll bed
- Fleece patches for clothing
- Teddy bears with pattern
- 15-minute princess gown tutorial
- Easy-sew princess gown
- Decorate-a-monster stuffie tutorial
- Weighted blanket tutorial
- Baby doll carrier tutorial
Want to sew with your kids but don’t know much about sewing? Here are some basic sewing tips that can help you get started!
This is day four of the Ultimate Guide to 50 Craft Materials Linky! Click on the link to see the full schedule at Craftulate.
Have a (non-felt – that will be covered on a different day) fabric craft to share? I hope you’ll link up below!