Learn how to extend imaginative LEGO play with these DIY play scapes that promote storytelling. You might also enjoy this LEGO minifigure fairy hack.
We are a LEGO loving family. Mike and I build LEGO sets as at-home dates (we’re working on this one at the moment). My kids save up their money for sets year round. My kids also use our existing LEGO sets to build their own creations. A pretty impressive castle is currently in the works!
- How to Use LEGO bricks to encourage kids to think creatively about design
- Creating Stories with LEGO Star Wars
- LEGO Minifigure Fairy LEGO Hack
Extend Imaginative LEGO play with these DIY Play Scapes
My kids came up with these simple play scapes as a way to extend their LEGO play. I love the storytelling and pretend play that a few simple crayon drawings inspire!
How to Make a DIY Play Scape for Imaginative LEGO Play
These are super easy to make! All you need are:
- LEGO bricks. My kids used sets we already owned, as well as some LEGO bricks from our collection. Here are the sets we used:
- Corner Deli (a fun three in one set that comes with instructions to build three different things using the same bricks).
- Lakeside Lodge (another fun three in one set)
- Winter Toy Shop
- Art paper roll
Set your play scapes up using these four simple steps:
- Place the butcher paper on the ground. We used washi tape to hold it in place.
- Add your LEGO buildings and minifigures
- Draw in roads, parking spaces, lakes, forests, and any other scenery you want to add to your play.
- Start playing!
I love that my kids combined the sophisticated LEGO Creator sets with very simple structure. The added in scenes created a richer environment for their play, and more detailed storytelling that continues to outlast the original play scapes.
What are your favorite ways extend imaginative LEGO play? Please share in the comments. I love to see photos, suggestions, and ideas on my Facebook page. You can also tag me on Instagram.
MaryAnne lives is a craft loving educator, musician, photographer, and writer who lives in Silicon Valley with her husband Mike and their four children.
3 thoughts on “Extend Imaginative LEGO play with DIY Play Scapes”
I love this idea! I’ll have to introduce it to my kids. It’ll perfectly incorporate my daughter’s love of art, and my boys’ love of building.
I love how you added art to Legos! What a great idea!
This is a neat idea! A likes to combine LEGO with Magna Tiles for more extensive play.
Comments are closed.