I’m always looking for quick, easy, relatively healthy dinners to cook and this enchilada recipe is a big favorite at our house. It isn’t remotely authentic, but it sure is delicious! Instant Pizza is another fun kid-friendly dish that is even faster to make.
- 1 4oz. can mild green chiles (I like the fire-roasted kind)
- 1 11oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup 1/2″ pieces of cooked chicken (I sometimes use canned chicken)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- pinch cumin (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 tortillas (I used whole wheat this time)
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
All measurements are approximate because, for whatever reason, I find it ridiculously difficult to use measuring cups. Pay attention to the salt content on the canned portions of this recipe and try to find one can without salt or at least reduced salt because it can get too salty otherwise. I usually use unsalted black beans.
I’m a fan of adding pureed fruits and vegetables, so I also added about 1/2 cup pureed spinach, carrots, and green beans and 1/8 cup pureed apricots and apple sauce (both from baby food cans) to this.
1) Mix chicken, cream of chicken soup, chiles, sour cream, yogurt, water and cumin together in a pan while heating on stove top
2)Put a thin layer of this mixture on the bottom of a baking pan – the glass pyrex type works well
3) Spread the mixture on each tortilla, then roll and place in the pan
4) Spread remaining mixture across top of tortillas
6) Add cheese