Now that we are well into summer, I am always looking for easy summer fun for kids! Water painting is one of the simplest activities, and my kids love it! This fun classic children’s activity is low prep and low mess. You don’t even have to provide proper paint brushes – if you look closely you will see that my girls are painting with dried out bamboo from our little garden! I love this activity because it gets kids outside, helps them think creatively, but is also a very forgiving art form. Painting on a vertical surface (like our sliding door) is also a great way to start a conversation about gravity! Painting on concrete shows up really well, and kids can work together to create big art. The hotter the day, the more quickly their art vanishes! Give your kids large paintbrushes and encourage them to “paint” the house with water – it’s a great gross motor exercise!
Here are a few more low-key activities we are enjoying:
- Go on a walk, but let the kids lead the way. You can also try a scavenger hunt, or pretend that you are on a quest, looking for clues. Kids need very little encouragement to let their imaginations run wild!
- Blow bubbles
- Go geocaching
- Enjoy washable sidewalk paint
- Look for nature’s camouflage
- Try sensory play with this easy-to-hose-off outdoor sensory activity
- Paint big art outdoors
- Visit a Farmer’s Market
- Play in the sprinkler!
- Enjoy classic childhood games
We spend as much time as possible outdoors in the summer, but sometimes it is too hot, too rainy, or a sibling is napping so we are stuck indoors. Here are our favorite indoor summer activities:
- Play dough
- Pretend play
- Reading books you can find our favorites here
- Visiting museums
- Playing with pattern blocks
- Playing with LEGO bricks
- Playing with Spielgaben
What are your favorite low-key summer activities for kids?