Can you believe these gorgeous Easter eggs were decorated using crayon shavings? Get all the details in the tutorial.
The Easter Egg by Jan Brett is this week’s Virtual Book Club for Kids pick. This cute book features all sorts of fun ways to make fancy Easter eggs, so I decided it was the perfect time to update this post featuring my all-time favorite method of decorating Easter eggs.
I’m absurdly pleased with how our Easter eggs turn out when we use this method, and I think we’ll probably do it again this year.
How to Decorate Easter Eggs with Crayon Shavings
- Freshly boiled eggs that have not been cooled (skip that last step for these fancy eggs!)
- Crayon shavings. Pencil sharpeners produce beautiful crayon shavings!
- Parchment paper
- Tongs – ideally silicone tipped tongs.
- Optional: Easter egg dye kit
STEPS for Beautiful Crayon Shaving Eggs
- Lay a selection of crayon shavings out on your parchment paper. Lay out a second sheet of parchment paper that can hold your eggs as they cool.
- Use the tongs to pick up and then carefully roll the eggs across the crayon shavings, one at a time. Place the eggs on the second sheet of parchment paper to cool.
And that’s it! The trick to getting the crayon shavings to look pretty is to keep the shavings large and not to add to many of them.
More Egg Themed Learning Fun for Kids
Keep learning through play with these fun egg-themed activities for kids:
- Number Recognition Match the Chicken to the Egg Printable
- DIY Egg and Chick Maths Game
- Borax Crystal Eggs
- Easy Easter Fine Motor Skills Craft
- Spring Movement Game Using Plastic Eggs
- Make Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Decorate COLD Eggs with Crayons
- Turn Plastic Easter Eggs into Shaker Eggs and Bunny Rabbits.
- Make Dinosaur Eggs
What is your favorite way of decorating Easter eggs?