Cute Color-me heart valentines to sew with for for the kids this Valentine’s Day. A sweet Valentine’s Day sewing project.
Valentine’s Day Color Me Heart Sewing Project Tutorial
These color-me heart stuffies, inspired by our decorate-a-monster stuffies, are my all-time favorite Valentine’s Day craft for all ages! We sent one to my then-teenaged sister years ago, and she loved it so much that she now has it with her at college.
If the kids look a little young, it’s because today I’ve updated an OLD post to feature in time for Valentine’s Day crafting.
Color-Me Heart Valentine Tutorial
These heart valentines are easy to make. You can sew them yourself and then give them to kids or help an older child sew them to keep or give to others.
- Cut a heart shape out of muslin (twice).
- Stitch together, leaving an opening for stuffing. I recommend a sewing machine, just because you need pretty small stitches with muslin.
- Trim seam allowance.
- Stitch shut by hand, using a ladder stitch.
- Use fabric markers or Sharpie pens to add a face.
- Color yourself or give as a gift, along with fabric markers, Sharpie pens, or washable markers. We decorate ours with washable markers, so they can be decorated over and over!
Johnny was good friends with his stuffie from the start! The Heart Friends seemed to get along pretty well right off the bat:
And they are having lovely adventures together!
Emma loved Valentine’s Day when she was small, so we’ve done some fun activities through the years! These felt hearts still make their way around the house, Anna still plays with our flannel board felt hearts, and I think next week I’ll show Anna how to make a felt woven heart. Maybe we’ll make an “I love you” handprint card again, too!
What is your favorite Valentine’s day craft? Who will you make this heart valentine for?
Looking for non-candy Valentine’s Day ideas for friends? Here are a few ready-made ideas:
Do you have any fun non-candy valentine suggestions?
Share comments and feedback below, on my Facebook page, or by tagging me on Instagram. Sign up for my newsletter to receive book recommendations, crafts, activities, and parenting tips in your inbox every week.