Kids love dinosaurs, and it is easy to make chocolate dinosaurs with your kids! Learn how, and find a cute picture book to read at the same time!
Some links on this site are affiliate links and I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Learn more.
Kids love dinosaurs, kids love cooking, and kids love chocolate! We combined all three for this week’s Virtual Book Club for Kids activity. This week’s book was the very funny Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems. We recommend When Dinosaurs Came with Everything by Elise Broach as backup in case you can’t find a copy of the first book.
How to Make Chocolate Dinosaurs
Making chocolate dinosaurs is easy and fun! Here are the materials you need:
- Chocolate chips. We haven’t decided on a brand we like best. You can also use candy melts or chocolate wafers.
- Something to heat your chocolate. Either a microwaveable bowl, pot for the stove, or glass or metal container for a hot water bath.
- Spoon to stir the chocolate.
- Rubber scraper (optional, but helpful).
- Dinosaur molds. We used these dinosaur molds this time, but here are some other dinosaur molds that we have also used (see our dinosaur train cake post).
Steps for Making Chocolate Dinosaurs
- Melt your chocolate.
- Put the melted chocolate into the molds. You can pipe it in; we spooned it in.
- If you are messy like us, use your rubber scraper to wipe excess chocolate off of the back of your molds.
- Let your chocolates set.
- Enjoy eating your chocolate while reading Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems or When Dinosaurs Came with Everything by Elise Broach.
Those lighter markings you see on our chocolate dinosaurs are due to chocolate bloom. Ironically, this happened to me this weekend for the first time ever. I say ironically, because this weekend the kids and I decided to try to temper our chocolate. I wanted to see if I could make my chocolates even shinier. Obviously we failed. Fortunately, my kids LOVE the lighter markings because they think they make the dinosaurs look more like real dinosaurs.
Dinosaur Learning Activities for Kids
Dinosaurs make an imaginative learning theme since there is so much we don’t really know about them! Going through my archives, I realized that we have done a lot with dinosaurs over the years ! I’ve added those links along with my co-hosts wonderful activities this week. Here are some more great dinosaur themed learning activities for kids:
- Dino Babies Literacy Game
- Roll a Dinosaur Movement Game
- DIY Dinosaur Eggs
- Bake a Dinosaur Train Cake
- Rocks and Fossils Experiment
- Dinosaur Sensory Science Play
- Dinosaur Number Maze
- Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs Jacks Game
- Clothespin Dinosaur Counting Tray
- Dinosaur Eggs Preschool Math Printables
- Dino Growth Chart
- Collaborative Cardboard Dinosaur Art
- Dinosaur Pre-Writing Tracing Pages
- Drawing Dinosaurs
- Build a Shape Dinosaur
- Dinosaur Shape Matching Game
- Play Dough Shapes Dinosaur
THE 2016-17 VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB FOR KIDS
Click on the image above to see all of the themes, books, and activities for this year’s 2016-17 Virtual Book Club for Kids! I am updating the page as new posts go live.