Johnny defending his trick or treating stash last year. He didn’t get to eat any (he was only 10 months old), but he sure wanted to!
Halloween wasn’t celebrated much in my home growing up. I went to a trunk-or-treat event once, I think – and being terrified of one guy dressed up with a mask in the back of a red pickup truck. The biggest celebration I remember ever having was one night when I was four or five years old. We spent the evening in the family room with the lights out, running around pretending to be monsters. Nothing fancy at all, but I remember having an absolute blast with the four (or maybe five?) siblings I had at the time. We did carve pumpkins nearly every year, so that is the one craft I think of around Halloween time. I’m a bit ashamed to admit it, but I have yet to carve a pumpkin with my own children. Maybe this year…
Luckily for my Halloween-obsessed daughter, mommies all over the internet come up with many creative Halloween-themed crafts. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Cereal box luminaries and paper bats from 4 Crazy Kings.
- Make as many Jack O’Lantern faces as you like with this pumpkin play mat from The Adventures of Bear.
- Pumpkin face Rice Krispie Treats from be the thread.
- Halloween tissue paper crafts from pink and green mama.
- Halloween peg dolls from The Masked Mommy.
- MANY Halloween crafts and a song from Filth Wizardry.
- Bat lampshade from The Ramblings of a Crazy Woman.
Have another favorite Halloween craft or activity? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!