I remember feeling a little bewildered when I started my first baby on solid foods. There is a lot of conflicting advice out there for moms – what to feed babies, when to feed them, how often to feed them – basically, you won’t find a solution that will make everyone happy! Here are a few baby-friendly foods that were a big hit in our house – and pretty healthy as well! My kids have all loved feeding themselves, so these foods are perfect for that as well.
- Diced avocado – it’s soft enough for even new eaters to gum, and fantastic nutritionally
- Black beans with grated cheese and diced tomatoes
- Diced bananas
- Grapes – cut in half for smaller grapes, in quarters for larger grapes
- Steamed broccoli
- Yogurt tubes – freeze them to make them less messy, and for added teething relief! We like the Chobani Champions tubes
- Soup – sometimes I give my kids the vegetables out of vegetable soup without the broth, for times when the kids want to feed themselves.
- Diced peaches
On the go with little babies, I like to have pureed food in reusable baby pouches. Here are some of our favorite steamed puree combinations:
- Bananas with blueberries
- Potatoes, spinach, pureed with grated cheddar cheese
- Apples and strawberries
- Potatoes, tomatoes, pureed with grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
Here are some foods my babies have fed themselves with spoons (yes, very messily) as they have gotten older:
- Lasagna (cut up)
- Lentils with rice
- Fried rice
I find that my kids LOVE food with spices! My seven-year-old was born in the UK, and the vegetable-based baby foods there all have spices added in. Not surprisingly, they taste much better than the mostly-spice-free American store-bought baby foods!
What baby foods did your kids like best?