Hand sewing is a great way to introduce kids to sewing. These beginner hand sewing projects are cute, fast, and easy to sew.
Did you know that kids as young as four years old can learn to sew? I’ve even had younger kids start with a blunt needle and paper.
Beginner Hand Sewing Projects for Kids
My kids really enjoy sewing. It’s a quiet activity you can do while listening to an audiobook or following a conversation, and it’s excellent fine motor skill practice! I’ve gathered some of our all-time favorite hand sewing crafts for kids together for this post.
Beginner Hand Sewing Materials
You can begin hand sewing with only a few simple materials:
- Embroidery needles with sharp tips. My kids learn quickly to be careful with their needles.
- Embroidery floss
- Safety eyes for some of our felt stuffie projects.
- Stuffing (I recommend Cluster Stuff)
- Wool felt. Felt is a wonderful first sewing project material. A sewing needle slides through felt effortlessly, and you don’t ever have to worry about frayed edges.
Here are some optional but helpful add-ons that simplify the sewing process.
- Tweezers – for getting stuffing into tight spaces.
- #2 pencil or chopsticks. Also useful for getting stuffing into tight places.
- Wire cutters (for adult use only, or under close adult supervision). For trimming the back pole off of the safety eye. You can use scissors, but these will work better (and, therefore, are safer, provided an adult uses them.
WHY USE WOOL FELT?
100% wool felt is much more expensive than the craft felt that is in every craft store. Why bother with wool? It stays looking nice much longer. Of course, it is not the end of the world if you choose to use craft felt instead. It just won’t feel or look as nice.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT CLUSTER STUFF
Cluster Stuff is a hypoallergenic polyester stuffing material that is designed to never clump or bunch up. It comes in tiny clusters that are helpful when stuffing tight spaces. I have been using this stuffing for several years now, and it never disappoints. As with the felt, there isn’t a real problem with using something else; it just won’t be as fun or easy to work with (with the possible exception of using wool roving for stuffing…)
Simple Hand Sewing Projects for Beginners
I hope your kids enjoy these hand sewing projects as much as my children have!