The start of summer vacation often means lots of time in the pool! Swimming is fantastic exercise for kids, and a wonderful way to stay active and keep cool on hot days. Read these pool safety tips to keep kids safe all summer long.
Summer Pool Safety Tips to Keep Kids Safe
The ZAC Foundation (sponsoring this post) was founded to keep kids safe in the water after six-year-old Zachary Archer Cohn drowned in 2007. Any child’s death is devastating, and hundreds of children drown every year. The ZAC Foundation wants to change this statistic forever. Please read these tips before taking your kids to the pool!
The ZAC Foundation wants to ensure that children and their parents know how to be safer around water through education and advocacy programs. The ZAC Foundation provides a wealth of water safety tips and resources. They run ZAC Camps for parents and children of all ages (birth to teenagers). The Foundation targets children ages 5-9 with most of their safety programming.
ABC&D’s of water safety
Water safety is as simple as A, B, C, and D:
- ADULT: Never let children be alone near or in a pool, ocean, lake, or river. Children should be taught to never swim without an adult present.
- BARRIER: Have a four-sided fence that goes around your pool with a self-locking gate.
- CLASSES: Kids and adults should take safety classes like swim lessons and CPR.
- DRAINS: ALL swimmers should stay away from all pool and spa drains to avoid becoming trapped by the suction.
Drain entrapment can happen no matter how well a child swims. Make sure your pool has an anti-entrapment drain cover, and never let anyone swim in a pool with a loose drain cover or a drain cover that falls off. Have drains checked regularly by a licensed maintenance professional. Learn more in this video about drain entrapment.
Water Safety Giveaway
The ZAC Foundation is providing 15 summer fun kits (ARV $50) to give away to my readers. Each kit contains the following:
- The ZAC Foundation Children’s Book: The Polar Bear Who Couldn’t, Wouldn’t Swim
- Beach towel
- Water Watcher Card
How do keep your kids safe at the pool?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.