I made this texture book for Lily after seeing this post from One Inch World. I originally intended to follow Katherine’s design of a proper book, but I chose several thick fabrics (including part of an old towel) and then made the rather unwise decision to try to serge it since I had the serger out to fix a shirt and it would have been so hard to pull the other machine forward instead… The fabric was too thick for the serger’s blade, and I gave up on that idea after sewing maybe an inch and a half. I considered cutting that bit off and sewing everything up properly but decided that Lily would like it just fine the way it was. Lily seems intrigued by the finished product, and I’ll probably bring it along for our December trans-Atlantic flight. Here’s a photo of the fabrics I used for Lily’s “book”, all scraps from my sewing stash:
If you don’t have a sewing machine, you could stitch some scraps together using a simple needle and thread – it’ll just take a little longer (or not, if you have sewing machine issues like I did).