Our felt board hoop continues to be very popular with my kids, and this weekend we put it to use making cute felt shape sheep! We were inspired by Chinese New Year and the fact that we are starting the year of the sheep (or ram), but this is a great craft for spring or Easter as well. I got the idea from making our eraser stamped sheep – I figured that if we could make sheep using a round eraser dipped in white paint, we might as well try using white circle-ish shaped felt!
Eight-year-old Emma helped me to cut out the shapes for the sheep, and she assembled the first few sheep. The kids gradually moved to using the same shapes to create other things, beginning with Anna’s request to make a cow. The sheep remained the most recognizable creation, followed by some snowmen I came across this evening after the kids were in bed.
Two-year-old Anna also likes to use the circles to decorate the edge of the hoop, which has me thinking it’s time to expand our felt board bin to include more shapes – the ones I made for my geometric shapes templates have mostly vanished by now.
Are you doing anything to celebrate Chinese New Year? Here are some fun activities from my blogging friends:
- Chinese New Year Fortune God Mask from Witty Hoots
- Chinese Lantern Sun Catchers from The Gingerbread House
- TP Roll Chinese Lanterns from In the Playroom
- Thumbprint Chinese Zodiac Craft for Kids from Fun Handprint Art
- Cheese Chinese Lanterns from Danya Banya
- Wool Painted Fans from Crafts on Sea
- Sheep Stick Puppets from Best Toys 4 Toddlers
- Felt Shape Sheep from Mama Smiles
- Sheep Letter Recognition from Something 2 Offer
- Chinese (non firework) Firecrackers from Peakle Pie
- Chinese New Year Card from Creative World of Varya
- Chinese Dragon Puppets from Messy Little Monster
- Paper Plate Chinese Dragon from Kiddy Charts
- Dragon Painting for Preschoolers from Learning and Exploring Through Play
- Bubble Wrap Sheep Craft from Multicraftingmummy
- Chinese Dragon Dance from Study at Home Mamma
- Chinese Zodiac Animals in Lego from Planet Smarty Pants
You can also find more ideas in this linky – please add your own ideas as well!
There were a lot of great activities linked up last week! Here are four that caught my eye:
Valentine Heart Glyph from Inspiration Laboratories
DIY LEGO Board Game from There’s Just One Mommy
Sight Word Practice on the Stairs from Hands On As We Grow
Simple Machines: DIY Pulley from Deceptively Educational
What is your family learning about? Do you have a fun activity for elementary-school aged kids to share? When you link up, you give me and the other linky hosts permission to feature your post and to pin it to our After School Activities board on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!