Farm themed learning activities for preschoolers for the book The Little Blue Truck. Literacy, math, science, and movement activities for preschoolers.
I lived on a farm until I was nearly seven years old, and it was absolute bliss. My kids love visiting farms! This week, my preschooler and I are enjoying all sorts of farm themed learning activities as we read this week’s Virtual Book Club for Kids book, The Little Blue Truck.
We were introduced to The Little Blue Truck several years ago, and it remains a family favorite. We also love these farm themed picture books that would work well for this farm learning theme for preschoolers:
Decorate a Farm Animal Preschooler Activity
My four-year-old daughter Anna had a fabulous time decorating these farm animals! We used animals from this ALEX Toys activity set, but you can download free paper bag animal templates. You can also download animal coloring pages for kids to decorate like Anna decorated the cardboard cut-outs. You can also get a set of paper bag puppets only if you want a ready-made kit. Anna also added some beads and feathers from her personal craft stash; the rest of the decorations came in the craft kit.
This is an excellent fine motor learning activity for preschoolers! The gluing and placing of materials help children build the fine motor muscles they need to learn to write later on. Goofy activities like this one also get kids’ imaginations running, and they are wonderful for promoting storytelling.
Farm-Themed Educational Toys
Here are a couple of neat farm-themed educational toys to go with this unit:
Learning Resources Friendly Farm Math Activity Set – note that the six mats are identical. You can save money by buying the animals on their own and making your own mats.
These farm animals can be used for sensory bins, pretend play scenes, and all sorts of pretend play scenarios. They also give kids a chance to examine reasonably realistic three-dimensional farm animal models. Be aware that they are quite large.
Farm animal dominoes help kids learn one to one correspondence and teach them different farm animal names.
More Farm Themed Learning Activities
Here are this week’s activities from my co-hosts, organized by learning topic.
Alphabet Learning Activities
- Farm Animal Beginning Sounds and Bingo Game from Rainy Day Mum
- Little Blue Truck ABC Animal Pick-Up from Growing Book by Book
- Farm Alphabet Scavenger Hunt from Sunny Day Family
Name Learning Activity
- Spell Your Name With The Little Blue Truck from To Be a Kid
Number Learning Activities
- Play & Count Farm Animals from My Storytime Corner
- Farm Animal I Spy and Graph Printable from Schooltime Snippets
- Number Games Based on Little Blue Truck Books from JDaniel4’s Mom
Farm Themed Sensory Activity
- Little Blue Truck Sensory Bin from Adventures of Adam
Farm Themed Cooking Activities
Preschool Science Farm Themed Learning
- Little Blue Truck Magnetic Farm Activity from The Educators’ Spin On It
- Farm Animal Races from Inspiration Laboratories
Learning Colors with Farm Animals
- Color Sorting with Farm Animals from Clare’s Little Tots
Farm Themed Pre-Writing Activities
- Little Blue Truck Farm Animal Story Retelling from Powerful Mothering
- Roll-a-Story Fun with Character Printables from Chickadee Lit
Movement Activities for Farm Themed Learning
- Farm Themed Brain Breaks from Sugar Aunts
- Hide & Match Farm Animal Puzzle Game from Toddler Approved
THE 2016-17 VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB FOR KIDS
Click on the image above to see all of the themes, books, and activities for this year’s 2016-17 Virtual Book Club for Kids! I am updating the page as new posts go live.
Do you have fun farm-themed learning activities for us to try? Have you read The Little Blue Truck? Come share an image on my Facebook page, or tag me on Instagram. Sign up for my newsletter for more educational activities for kids, joyful parenting tips, and craft tutorials.